Dienstag, August 09, 2005

Stars and Stripes

Once upon a time an middle-aged russian immigrant who was later known as Mr.B. was apparently pretty inspired of his new american home and created as a result of it, a new higher, faster and wider ballet style and lots of ingenious ballets. Amongst a big bunch full of others, one named “Stars and Stripes” and was originated in the late 1950s.







Dancers: Miranda Weese and Damian Woetzel of NYCB.
Photo: Paul Kolnik.



Saw it five minutes ago on video. Maybe the one millionth time in my life I did so. If I enjoyed it? I always do!

How much concentrated fun must it be to dance it?! No kidding, if there would somewhen knock the mini-mini-mini-malistic chance to dance it at my door (even the very last rank in the corps and no salary at all would be wonderful), I swear I would be ready to die lucky and peaceful immediately after being back offstage. Why? Because it’s drop-dead gorgeous!












Dancers: In the foreground, center group: Leslie Young in the blue tutu, Gonzalo Garcia, and Sherri LeBlanc in the red tutu. Tiekka Schofield is in the yellow tutu behind Gonzalo.
Photo: Weiferd Watts.

Yes, it is! Even if you sauerkraut-heads like to tell me being "nationalistic with the wrong country" or something. Balanchines "Stars and Stripes" along with the proud fly of the flag in the end of the ballet and the dancing to music which could be easily compared to "The stars spangled banner" is a very, very good part of the United States. One part I'm still head over heels and maybe sickly but proudly in love with. Doesn’t matter to me as a dancer what happens outside the ballet world over there in this case. You know, political decisions are not made in theaters - thank god!

Music: Corcoran Cadets, Thunder and Gladiator, Rifle Regiment, Liberty Bell, El Capitan, The Stars and Stripes Forever by John Philip Sousa, orchestrated by Hershy Kay

Choreography: George Balanchine

Premiere: January 17, 1958, New York City Ballet, City Center of Music and Drama

Original cast: Allegra Kent, Diana Adams, Melissa Hayden, Robert Barnett, Jacques d'Amboise

If you'll be in New York City once, you should go to NYCB and watch it, it's still on the repertoire and absolutely worth it!

0 Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Abonnieren Kommentare zum Post [Atom]

<< Startseite